19 June 2007

Driving

It flows like a rainbow
Over my body. Through this state
Of nothing. Soft, hard, and in between
In and out of consciousness, drifting fitfully.

That Saturday night so promising.
One for the road and crash. Through
The hedge and down tumbling through the
Darkness. Crunching to a stop. Pain then nothing.

Awake at last, the pain so intense. So cutting.
A machine breathes for me, I can’t do it myself.
Stitches up stitches, bandage upon bandage.
Your awake says the nurse. Good I'll call the doctor.

Doctor comes. Examines me. You’re very lucky to be alive
Why am I alive? You will probably walk again.
These policemen want to talk with you. How much did you drink?
Why did you drive? You crashed on the road in the valley.

Doctor says enough. Gives me a jab. It flows like a rainbow
Over my body. Then pain and remembrance. Did I do this?
And why. My friend dead and I the cause. No license for one year.
Small consequence. My friend, finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment